Saturday 23 June 2012

TRUST Me, It's Delicious (PB & J French Toast)

Welcome to my second monthly feature, which is all about foooood. Brilliant.  I think about food a lot and it's one of the things that brings the most joy to me, hence the title of the post! I know I'm not the only person like this so I really hope this feature is enjoyed by lots of people! 

Now this "recipe" is almost too embarassing to post about, but it was so delicious that I don't care. And I know I'm not the only person that would enjoy this.   It's PB & J French Toast. Yep.  Just like regular peanut butter and jam on toast but fatter and approximately 5% fancier.  

Don't judge me. I know you'd try it! Also....I'm no food photographer so it tastes better than it looks...



PB & J French Toast
Ingredients:
2 pieces bread of your choice (slightly stale is better as it will soak up more eggy mixture) 
1 Tablespoon crunchy peanut butter 
1 Tablespoon jam of any flavour (I used three-berry)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk (fatty is better but trim works just as well)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Pinch of salt 
Butter (or oil)
Icing sugar 

Method:
Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Spread the bread with the peanut butter and make a sandwich.  Thoroughly mix the egg, milk, vanilla and salt in a shallow dish.  Gently place the sandwich in the egg mixture and soak for a few seconds until soaked in.  Turn the sandwich over so both sides are thoroughly coated. Don't leave it in too long or it will become too soggy and fall apart.

In the heated pan, melt a teaspoon of butter and place your eggy sandwich in (the pan should be hot enough so the sandwich gently sizzles).  Cook on one side until nice and golden, then carefully turn and cook the same on the other side.

While the toast is cooking, heat your jam in a small dish in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds so it turns to liquid.  You can also add a tablespoon of water before you do this to make the jam really runny.  I sieved my jam to get the seeds and lumps out.

To serve:  Place your cooked french toast on a plate, cut in half and dust with icing sugar. Drizzle your jam over and eat up.  Really good with strong hot coffee, on a wintry Saturday morning, with the telly on and still wearing your PJs...trust me. 

x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for reading!