Wednesday 17 April 2013

What Are We Waiting For


As I write this, New Zealand Parliament is holding the final debate regarding the legalisation of same-sex marriage.  As I write this, I am watching the live stream of the debate (note - the debate is now finished but this link will still take you to Parliament's live stream - it's fascinating!) and both sides are offering empassioned and stirring arguments.  

I have been following the movement of the bill through its stages and my feelings of support for marriage equality have bubbled up more strongly than ever.  While I understand that everybody is entitled to their beliefs and there are lots of people against it, the question circling over and over in my mind is "why is it anyone else's business who wants to get married apart from the couple involved???!". The more I think about it, the more frustrated and baffled I become, and the more I want this bill to be passed.  

This is the most politicised I've ever been and I'm glad this debate has awakened my political awareness. I want same-sex couples to have the same rights as straight couples, I want people to marry whoever they love, and I want everyone to know it. 

x

18/4 - It's official!! Our Parliament last night voted to make same-sex marriage legal, making NZ the 13th country to legalise it.  So proud NZ xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for reading!